The biggest village in Slovakia situated in the area where the Hornád river leaves the area of the Slovak Paradise National Park. It was populated already in the 9-th century (during the existence of the Great-Moravian Empire), but the first written reference to the village is from the year 1246. In the documents it is mentioned as the village of the royal handlers. Especially the metallurgical industry developed during the Middle Ages, but the last high-temperature furnace was stopped in 1886.
The early Gothic church located in the center of the village was built in the middle of the 13-th century and refurbished several times later. Inside you can find precious oil-paintings of Jesus Christ while going to Golgota.
AVAILABLE SERVICES: pensions, private accommodation, restaurants, buffets, stores, national museum
ACCESS: By train from Žilina or from Košice. By bus from Poprad or from Spišská Nová Ves.
SURROUNDINGS: Čingov, Sovia skala (Owl Rock), Prielom Hornádu (Hornád Canyon), Biely potok (White Creek) Valley, Sokolia dolina (Falcon Valley), Kyseľ, Kláštorisko, Spišské Tomášovce and Tomášovský výhľad (Tomášovský View).